According to media reports, seven people have died in Zanzibar after eating turtle meat; three people are still being treated in hospital.

Turtle meat is a popular delicacy among residents. In rare cases, turtle meat can be toxic due to a biotoxin called chelonitoxism. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, dysphagia, and abdominal pain. Severe cases can lead to coma and multiple organ failure.

 

Consequences for travelers

Refrain from consuming the meat of sea turtles! It is prohibited in most countries due to conservation efforts!

 

References

Via ProMED, 29.11.2021