The Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Games are scheduled for February 4-20 and March 4-13, 2022, respectively. About 3,000 athletes from 80 countries are expected. The competitions will be held in Beijing, Yanqing, Zhangjiakou, and the Hebei province.
According to current regulations, international spectators are not allowed to attend. Local spectators will be allowed to attend the Games; information on additional conditions is still pending.
Consequences for travelers
If considering a visit, the following precautions are recommended:
- Follow entry requirements and precautions regarding COVID-19 in the country.
- Mass events can favor gastrointestinal and respiratory infections: follow good personal and food hygiene.
- Accident risk may also be increased (be cautious with alcohol!).
- Follow safer sex practices (i.e., the use of condoms) to avoid the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases (HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc.).
- Avian influenza is prevalent in China. Contact with poultry and their droppings should be avoided. Do not visit bird and poultry markets/farms, do not import poultry meat from China. Travelers should wash hands frequently with soap and water.
- COVID-19, MMR, varicella (for people with no chickenpox infection in the past), influenza, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, poliomyelitis (basic immunization and booster every 10 years if stay < 4 weeks or annually if stay > 4 weeks), hepatitis A and B.
- Depending on individual risk: pre-exposure rabies vaccination.
Diverse. Olympische Spiele, Bejing 2022